Wednesday, November 26, 2008

One of My Favorite Thanksgiving Memories


I think one of my most favorite times in my life was when I was in Junior High. I loved school, I enjoyed my teachers, and I had 6 really close fantastic friends. They were all new friends that I met when we started the 7th grade. Jenny, Beth, Annie, Lori, Vicki and Diane. I am still really close with Jenny, Beth and Annie. Lori moved away to become a teacher and we have not seen or heard from her since the 10 year reunion. Vicki has not been heard from even longer than that. Diane....well that could be a whole other blog, but I don't want to go there. People grow up, some don't, and they just grow apart.

One of my fondest memories of these girlfriends was the year we had a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. We had so much fun. Before we had our big dinners with our families, we got together and had popcorn, pretzels, jelly beans and toast. And laughed our heads off! I wish I had pictures of that day. I wish I had pictures of any of our times together. We did so much. And we never took pictures. Sometimes a parent might take some pictures at a Birthday party, but usually not. I have a few pictures from the last day of school for 8th grade. And one year for either Christmas or my Birthday, Jenny gave me a picture of me, her and Vicki sitting on the quad in front of the school. I think when we were in the 9th grade. The picture is hilarious because in the background is a guy getting tossed into the bushes of the quad. This was a little ritual the 9th graders did if someone other than a 9th grader was sitting on the quad. That was a privilege just for the oldest class! There was a similar ritual in High School. No underclassman better get caught stepping on the Chieftain head in the main hallway! I don't remember what would happen to them though. But I'm sure it was not nice!

I love that memory of our Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. If only we had pictures of it.......

2 comments:

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Hi Barb! I just wanted to stop in and wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your holiday!

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

Thanks Shirley! It's good to see you stop by. Love the snowman!