Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'm a Bowl-A-Thon'er!!!!!

Well...I did it. I joined in on all of the Bowl-A-Thon fun that Robert has been enjoying for 7 years now. He has wanted me to at least come and watch for years, but I always felt like it was his work stuff and that usually is a blast for him, but kinda boring for me. Last year I finally went and watched the big Portland event. Let me tell you....what a blast those people have! And they raise money for a good cause too! Last year they raised $80,008 for Junior Achievement! That I believe, is a record for one company to raise during the Bowl-A-Thon event. The event actually lasts for a month or so, with teams raising money in all kinds of ways. There is the direct donation via the Kintera site ( i will give you a link later ), garage sales, bake sales, hot dog feeds, raffles and our favorite, the pie in the face throw! And the great thing about this is that it is a tax deduction because JA is a non-profit! We are really good friends with the President of Portland's JA, John, and his wife Roodi. We always have such a great time with them. I'm on my daughter Katie's team and she needed one more person, and it looks like Roodi will be our 5th! That will make the day so much more fun! Last year the theme was "80 in 08". So everyone wore 80's themed costumes and the goal was to raise $80,000, which they did. This year the theme is "Calling All Heroes" with a goal of raising $100,000. It's a big goal, but I think they can do it. I'm expecting costumes to be anything like super heroes, firemen, soldiers and anything that people think represents a hero to them. Katie, since she works in Home Electronics, picked our team to be called "Guitar Hero Rockin Bowlers"!!!! So we are going to get all rocker glammed up! At the mall yesterday I found these super cool zebra striped pants that I wanted Katie to buy. But she said she wanted to still look around for ideas. I think she should have grabbed them!
My goal was to raise $250.00, which is $100 more than what they ask every individual bowler to raise. As of last night I was already at $334.00!!!! WOOHOO! So I raised my goal to $500.00. I'm hoping to have to raise it again.....hint hint!
As part of my fund raising I am going to offer to bake a Bundt Cake for $10.00. So anyone local who reads this and would like a Bundt Cake, let me know!!!! The Bailey's Irish Cream Cake was awesome!!!
If you are interested in making a tax deductable donation via the Kintera site, here is the link...
Donation Page

**YAY!!! I finally got the link to work!!!**

Thank You to those who have already donated!
Whabbear
Annie P
Jenny H
Terri W
Robert Captain Bowl-A-Thon ;-)
Berry & Glynis (just added today!! thanks guys!)

2 comments:

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

That comment was mine. I was having the worst time trying to get the hyperlink to work, but it finally did. I was missing some part and I just couldn't figure it out. But it's there now!
Hi to Dreama and Glynis who stopped by yesterday! I have to go back and read your comments again because I was so frustrated with the link that I have not forgetten what I was going to say to you guys!