Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

We had a very good day today. So good that hubby is fast asleep in the big soft chair, and I just woke up from a nap! Good day!
We had a full house for BBQ...hubby and I, Bryan and Celina (she did spend some time today with her own daddy), Katie and Timmy, my nephew Kris, and the in-laws Bob and Maryalice. We asked Kris to come over because his FAM is in Hawaii. He was asked to go along but didn't want to take unpaid vacation from his job. He needed the money more than the trip, but I'm sure he is disappointed. I'm glad he came over.
I was thinking this morning about my own dad. I have not spoken to him for about 9 years. I was thinking about how yesterday Beth and I made Father's Day cards, she for her own daddy, and me for hubby and FIL. And yet it never once occurred to me yesterday that I was not making a card for my own dad. How sad is that? He never even came to mind. He is out of my life by his own choice. We all tried to keep him involved, but he would eventually run away. This last time he ran several states away. What a sad man. He is nothing like my daddy from my childhood. He was good to me then. Such a great dad. But then it all fell apart, and it turns out it was never that great for my mom. But she hid it well. So here I am, spending Father's Day with my hubby and his dad, with barely a thought of my own, and I am OK with that.....

No comments: