Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Box & A Shredder




2008 is coming to a close. What an interesting year, to say the least. There have been fantastic events, and absolutely horrible events in my life. I have made mistakes, and I have been blamed for things that I did not do. But that is all behind me now. I am trying something new to end this year. I have a box and a shredder. In the box I am putting all the fantastic things that happened. I can open this box whenever I want. I can look at all the wonderful things that have come my way this year. I still have the same family members with me. And they all mean so much to me. I have good friends who have been with me for over 30 years, or some a few months. I took a fantastic trip to Europe, and had a lot of fun camping ones. I even had a fantastic weekend at a women's retreat! There was so much fun and excitement in 2008. Not even a few years ago would I have ever thought that I would be standing in Switzerland and looking at the Matterhorn. That trip is something that I will never forget a moment of. Something else that is going in the box is a name. Barack Obama. I want to remember this year for what I believe to be a new beginning for our Nation. I have so much hope and I do not want to be disappointed. I know there will be bumps in the road, as no one can be President without having a few mistakes or things happen that are out of their control. But it is how he deals with it that I have to have hope in.


In the shredder is going the things that I am putting behind me forever. Things that I will not deal with anymore. Things that I will be completely over with. Like Bush. I am done with him. How people perceive me. Done with it. If some do not know what type of person I am by now, then they never really tried to know me to begin with. Putting trust in people that I really do not know. Not doing that again either.


Some of the things going in the shredder will remain a secret just for me. Personal things. But they are going in there. I am hoping to make a lot of new and long lasting changes in the coming year. I will blog about them when I feel the need to share. Other things will just remain with me. I have been hurt to badly this year to share everything about myself from now on. I was too open this year with some, and I know now what a mistake that was. I don't want to hurt like that again. I don't know. Maybe someday I will trust again. But for now, some things will just be kept to myself.


2008 also marked the 10th Anniversary of my brothers death. It's so hard to think that it has been 10 years. Well actually 11 years in only 20 days. I still miss him so very much. I feel like our white Christmas was a gift from him. Whenever I see snow now it reminds me of him. A portion of his last week with us was spent at our house playing in the snow. The last pictures that were taken of him were of him sledding and having so much fun with the kids. One of those pictures still sits in a beautiful frame on my nightstand next to my bed. I will never forget him or the circumstances surrounding his death. Even though I would like to put portions of those memories in the shredder, I won't. I need to remember those. I need to hold on to those. Even though it hurts.


So here is to the end of 2008. Here is to the good times. Here is to saying goodbye forever to the bad times.


And now here is to everyone finding what they need to make their lives better. Here is to making friendships stronger. Here is everyone being healthy, wealthy and wise!


Here is to a new beginning.


Here is to 2009.....

7 comments:

Adriana said...

Good afternoon ladies (and Bryan posing as Celina lol)!

It's a beautiful south Texas day here.... or so it seems from indoors LOL.

Enjoy your box and your shredder, Barb... that's a great idea.

word: remhangu

Sooz said...

TO 2009! *raises glass*

Wishing you a happy and blessed 2009, Barbara!

Glynis said...

I hope that your box is much fuller than your shredder and that you have many more memories to make in 2009.

I look forward to another summer retreat with you in July and hopefully more visits. It was a crazy 2008 and I have nothing more to say about certain events, except that I have no regrets and moving forward with the friends I have made and feel confident about the choices of leaving others behind. It's all good!

And CHANGE... we all need some change after the pathetic last 8 years of the Bush administration. I am excited for January 20th and the inauguration of our next president.

I know that 2009 is going to have some hard challenges ahead with the economy and our country trying to pull itself back up. With you and my other friends, along with my family and co-workers, I know that we can make it together... at least to keep each other company and lend an ear when needed.

Here's to the future!

Hi Adriana and Sooz! Happy New Year.

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

Hello Ladies!
Here is to all of us having a FANTASTIC 2009!!!!

G....I'm really looking forward to next summers retreat! This years was so much fun!

I just got back from shopping with Katie. She had Christmas gift cards burning a hole in her wallet! We went to Macy's, Anchor Blue, Old Navy, Nordstroms, Hallmark, back to Macy's, and then ended at Kohls. I was totally weak at Macy's. A friend was working the jewelry counter and we were having a little chit chat when something caught my eye. A ring. I asked her how much it was. And I bought it. Totally spontaneous. And I love it! It was 80% off! Crazy price! I also bought a blue wool coat at Old Navy, Christmas gifts for next year from Hallmark, bought Bryan another hoodie from Anchor Blue since he has not taken off the one I bought him for Christmas. And at Kohls I stayed away from the clothing section and just helped Katie spend her gift cards. I did buy a bath set though. Gingerbread Spice. It has shower gel, body mist, lotion, body cream and a sponge. I can't wait to use it! At Macy's Katie was buying some perfume and I really liked one of them so I sprayed the tester on me. I smell nummy! It's Harajuku Baby. Has kind of a little baby powder smell. I really like powdery smelling perfume.
So I think that is it. Oh...I did buy some Mary Kay from my friend Jenny who stopped by today with her daughter Thea. It sounds like a lot of money was spent today, but not really. The sales were great. Well....I did spend a lot on the ring, but when you consider what the original price was, then it WAS a great deal! Sounds like I'm practicing for when I try to justify the purchase to Robert! Which I do not have to do because I'm paying for it! LOL!
Adri...the word is: incet!

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

Sooz....
**Cheers**!!!!!

Glynis said...

The best part of Christmas is when you have money for all the after- Christmas sales! Sounds like you and Katie got a real workout walking the mall. FUN!

Gotta run... Berry is taking me out to dinner. Woo hoo!

Adri: the word is pressi

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Barb your idea of the box and the shredder sounds like a good one. I just wanted to stop by and wish you, your family and your bloggers a Happy New Year. I hope all the hurt and pain of 2008 fades away into a fun filled wonderful 2009. Have a fun and safe New Year's Eve. (((HUGS)))