Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's a Small World after all....




My friend Sandy came over last night. We have been getting together on Wednesday nights to scrapbook. This is her first book, and it's absolutely adorable! Sandy is one of those people who can do anything artsy or decorative. She will just decide one day to paint a room. Yep. She is one of THOSE people! LOL! My friend Beth, who just happens to be Sandy's SIL now is like that too. Long story short....Beth friend for 30+ yrs, Sandy neighbor for 18+ yrs, Beth brother Tim my hubby's friend for 30+ yrs, fixed up Tim & Sandy and they are married for 5+ yrs. LOL! So now you know! Anyway last night when Sandy was leaving she stopped and said "Oh! I got rid of the piano!" She had been trying to get rid of an upright piano that has been taking up space in her living room. I don't even think she tried to sell it. She was trying to give it away, and she couldn't even do that. She told me that her FIL told her to try the Piano Hospital because he used to be friends with the man who started it. What??? What??? I looked at her and asked "Grey knows Emil?" I had no idea that this family that I have been friends with for over 30 years knew someone from my childhood. I was shocked. How could I not know that Grey did things for Emil. You see...My fathers parents who have passed away were both blind. They were very active with the Washington State School for the Blind, and they were best friends with Emil, who was also blind. Emil started the Nationally known, maybe even world renown Piano Hospital. I grew up spending time with Emil at my grandparents house. I was so surprised to find out that Grey used to pick up Emil and help him run errands and to bring him home for dinner and such. I had no idea. Makes me wonder if this happened after my grandparents passed and my dad became such a flake. I know my parents did a lot for Emil because he was Grandma and Grandpa's best friend. There is even a bench in town dedicated to Emil and Grandpa. Anyway, Sandy was able to donate the piano to the hospital. They will use it to help blind people learn the trade of piano tuning.


I find it so fascinating that my best friends family knew someone who was so close to my grandparents. Emil passed quite a few years ago. He outlived my grandparents by about 10-15 years. I can't remember when it was that Emil passed. It was a big deal here in town when he did. He was such a sweet old guy....

7 comments:

Renee Eve said...

Hi Barb

I havent been on the computer much the past few days and I really shouldn't be on it now LOL. But Hey, Your cookies look Delicious from yesterday, and thanks for the receipes everyone.

Glynis I read that you went to Toys R Us, I have to go there yet FUN FUN!!!!! NOT, My oldest son is 13, my middle son will be 12 on Dec. 19, and my youngest son will be 8 on Dec. 20. so I have Christmas and Birthdays gifts to get yet, I have no idea why I'm waiting so long this year.

Hi Shirley its nice to see you here.

Also Hi to Dreama, are you enjoying your visit with your sister??? How long is she staying for??? You really have to explain Twitter to me I did sign up when you sent me the invitation, but I don't understand it, or Facebook, someone needs to help me with that too.

Hi to Arianna I hope I got that right. I think its right if not I apologize, I should of wrote it down from yesterdays blog, bad me. Its nice to meet you.

Barb, I read about your day on Saturday, and the pictures it so reminds me of Frankenmuth.

Ok I have to go get dinner on and wash some clothes. I might stop back later to say HI.

Talk to you all soon

Glynis said...

Hey Barb and Renee Eve! And any other unicorns out there that are lurking!

Isn't it just amazing when you realize that the world truly is a small place? I haven't run into anyone who knew my grandparents, but I have run into people here on the west coast that I knew while growing up on the east coast. It always feels like the Twilight Zone as I try to figure out how this person can be in this space... all out of context.

Very cool story about the Piano Hospital. I will have to remember that place when my piano has seen better days, but I still have hopes that ONE of my children will learn to play it. Or maybe I just need to start practicing again.

I had a fun afternoon. A friend invited me out to lunch and then I went to the grocery store and bought lots of baking supplies for this weekend. I even bought stuff to make Cracker Jack Cookies!!

They are saying it MIGHT snow this weekend... I am PRAYING it will!

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

Hey there girls! I just got from seeing Four Christmases with Katie. Our fav line in the movie..."You can't spell "Families" without "lies"." LOL! We both went...Oh yeh. HAHA! It was a funny movie. There was just something about the big guy Vince Vaughn almost puking because of the baby puke smell. Cracked me up. It is so true though. Oiy...baby puke is one of the worst smells ever. But a clean baby all powdered and smothered with Baby Lotion is the best smell!
Renee Eve...I went to the website for Frankenmuth and requested a guidebook. I can't wait for it to show up! A question...where is the closest airport to Frankenmuth? I was just wondering how far of a drive we would have.
Glynis.....They are calling for possible snow here Sunday. And then the temps next week are going to be lows around 17-18 degrees and highs only around 27-34. Brrrrrr!!!!! I'm so glad you are going to try the cookies! Fun!
Tonight I am going out with 29 people from work. ONe of the ladies at work, Karen, is in a play here at our small local theater. So we are all meeting at a Mexican place and then going to see her play. This is part 2 of a 3 series play. We went to part1 last year. Part 2 is a Christmas theme. Last years was pretty funny. So I may come in and check things out when I get home!

Adriana said...

Hello Renee Eve - you were close, but not quite LOL But it's ok, I've been called almost all of the variations and spellings :)

Hello Glynis :)

Hello Barb :)

and Dreama, in case she shows up :)

I feel a bit worse today than I did yesterday. I don't know what it is about this cold but one day we feel fine and the next we feel worse. I've had a back/shoulder/neck/head ache for the past two or three days. I think it's half allergy half cold. I am going to make me a bunch of hot tea for my throat :)

I finished my English Grammar class last night when I took my final exam. I had an email this morning from my prof. and I got a C in the class and he has put through the paperwork to complete my incomplete. Soooooo..........

I'M AN OFFICIAL COLLEGE GRADUATE!!!


Have a great night everyone and Barb - hope you enjoyed the play :) See y'all tomorrow! OH - I changed my blog header and will start blogging daily tomorrow. Hugs to all!

Glynis said...

Adri, CONGRATS on being official! That is quite an accomplishment. Pat yourself on the back!!

Be careful with the cold. Everyone I know has been sick with something and the cold thing seems to be turning into pneumonia a lot this year. My friend told me that her doctor made her take steroids to fight it off. Drinking hot tea is always a good start!

Barb, hope the play was a lot of fun. I just bought tickets tonight for Berry, Kaitlyn and I to go see the Seattle Men's Choir's Christmas Show. They are awesome...and hysterical!

See you all tomorrow! Sleep well...

DreamaTexas said...

A quick hello to you all. My sister is here with a surprise visit so we are doing Christmas shopping and all the festive things that we can fill into this time that we have together. She just showed up in my driveway and called me from her cell phone and said can you come open the front door. LOL!
Renn I miss you!
Adriana I hope you feel better soon!
Glynis & barbara SWAK!

Renee Eve said...

Good Morning everyone,

Adriana, i thought it was Adriana, I watch One Life to Live, just 1 of many soaps I watch and love, LOL, but there was a character named Adriana, and I just LOVED her name.

I'm planning on going shopping tonite to finish my shopping, we only buy for the boys. Before we had kids we bought for our parents, our sisters, grandparents, but Christmas is for kids, so thats what we spend our money on. We do take care of Mothers Day & Fathers Day for our Mothers and Johns father, and we give to our sisters on their Birthday. But we have a deal that they just buy for the boys and we don't want anything either, it works out great for everyone.

Ok, I will talk to you guys later, I can't wait for our new President to take over, I hope he will help our automotive companies. If Bush don't give the Auto companies the Bridge Loan, hes really gonna look bad, as if he don't already, sorry, I just can't wait until President-Elect Obama takes over.

I will check back later!!!!!!!