Monday, December 8, 2008

A little Piece of Bavaria in Washington State
















Having now been to Bavaria, it is amazing how close Leavenworth is to the real thing. We had such a great time Saturday. The only thing missing was snow. But we lucked out and had a beautiful sunny day. Although it was quite chilly. I don't thing the temp was ever out of the 30's. Brrrrrrr.....





As soon as we got there, I headed for the Christmas Shop, Kris Kringle. I love that shop. But oh boy, was it ever packed. In fact, the whole town was packed! I think there had to be over 50 buses there. And then add in all the people staying in the booked hotels, and well, it was uber packed! We went into as many shops as we could. I spent a lot of time just stuck in one spot waiting for people to move. Why do people just stop in the middle of an isle and just stand there? It's like their brain is on overload due to the huge crowds. So I would just patiently wait, or politely say excuse me so that I could pass. We were never able to get into the Hat Shop. The line for that was crazy! It was across the street the entire day. We wanted to go in there really bad though. People were walking around town the funniest Christmas hats. I wanted to take pictures of all of the people in their hats to post, but I felt weird about doing it, so I didn't.





For lunch we decided to get food at one of the street vendors instead of going into a cafe. Robert and Celina had bratwurst with sauerkraut, and Bryan and I had Elk burgers. Yummy. Later when we were pretty cold, we went into a bar and had Hot Buttered Rum. Except Bryan. He doesn't drink, so he had a diet coke. The Hot Buttered Rums were really good. I have to find my recipe for it that my friend Jenny gave me. Or I may just ask her for it again. Then I don't have to look for it!





Then they did the lighting ceremony. It took about a 1/2 an hour to sing, make little speeches, and then turn the lights on in sections. They started with the trees one at a time, and then moved onto the town. It was so pretty.





I'm not sure that I would go to it again. I really don't like those big of crowds in such a small place. We all want to go back though after Christmas when there is snow. And it is always a nice summer trip.










I hope everyone has a great Monday!





~Barb~





7 comments:

DreamaTexas said...

HOT BUTTERED RUM
Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch salt
Bottle dark rum
Boiling water
Directions
In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately.

DreamaTexas said...

I loved the photos. It truly looked like Bavaria! It brought back some wonderful memories. I would have loved to see that hats! When I went to Mardi Gras I did snap photos of many strangers and they didn't mind. In fact they all smiled for my camera and seemed to love the attention.

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

Good Afternoon Dreama.
I was a chicken about pictures. I should have. The hats were hilarious!
Thanks for the Hot Buttered Rum recipe. I will be giving it a try!

Unknown said...

You sound so disappointed that I don't drink. We should go back in Feb once the snow hits!

-Bryan

DreamaTexas said...

Your welcome Barbara! Hot buttered rum has brought back fond memories for me today. I remember the first time I ordered one at a ski lodge located in the Swiss Alps. I had gone on my first ski trip with my friends who were all experienced skiers. I was only 18 so it never entered my mind that I shouldn't be on advanced slopes. After an exhausting hour or so I took my bruised body inside and just watched from the huge glassed windows and dosed myself with hot buttered rum.
Okay, back to Boston Legal!

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

yeh Bryan...you're such a disappointment :-)

Dreama...I'm happy that I was able to bring back some fond memories for you!

DreamaTexas said...

LOL, I came back to read the comments. I figured out who Bryan is. My nephew is Bryan with a y also. Nice name! :)
Good night.