Friday, December 19, 2008

My Mother....The Artist
















I wish I had even half of my mothers talent for drawing. She is really quite good when it comes to painting and drawing. I doodle, but I am no where near my mom. Give me paper and scissors and I can whip up something good. But give my mom a rock, a piece of wood or a blank canvas and she will give you art. Whenever we go to the beach she will pick up a piece a driftwood and say something like "Do you see Santa?" What??? "Right here." And she will proceed to point out his beard and big belly and his face in the wood. "There...do you see his eyes?" She can see art in everything. I love that about her. I few years ago we used to have a table at some of the local Holiday Bazaars. I loved doing it, but you spent so much money making things just to see all of mom's stuff sell and your stuff just kind of trickle out. People would come to our table every year just to see what mom had made for that years ornament. I loved a set that she did one year that I bought one of just about every pattern. But then again, mom always made each ornament unique. They may all have a Santa face, but she would change it up. And then there was the year she made the pins. God I love those pins. One of them was a "goof" according to her. It is my favorite one of all. It is a Santa face with a wreath of holly around his head. I love that you can see the wood on his face instead of the cream colored background that she used on all of the other ones. She kicks herself for not keeping any for herself. She may have a pin, but I know she did not keep any of the earrings that she made. They are funny. She took mini baseball bats and drew Santa on them. So cute. I get asked all the time where I got them. "My mommy made them!" I'm always so proud to say that. I get asked about her pins too. I rotate them and wear them every year to work. I told her she can have some of them back if she wants, since she did not keep any for herself. Her response is that she can just make them if she wanted them that badly! Oh to be that talented!

2 comments:

kittyhawk44 said...

Hello mama!!

Yea, I loved Nana's Christmas stuff, too. I always thought the baseball bat Santas were funny.

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

KATIE!!!!!
Hello daughter! I just sent you an email that Donna sent me of cloud formations over Mt Rainier. I know how you love that stuff!