Thursday, February 12, 2009

Is This Sh*t For Real?????

It's time again for the annual 'Stella Awards'!

For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81 year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico where she purchased the coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right?


That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head. So keep your head scratcher handy.

Here are the Stella's for the past year:

7TH PLACE: Kathleen Robertson of Austin , Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

6TH PLACE:

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles, California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbour ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbour’s hubcaps.

5TH PLACE: Terrence Dickson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania , was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT, days on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish.

4TH PLACE: Jerry Williams, of Little Rock , Arkansas , garnered 4th Place in the Stella 's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbour’s beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

3RD PLACE: Third place goes to Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument. What ever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?

2ND PLACE: Kara Walton, of Claymont, Delaware, sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000 ...oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.

1ST PLACE: This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City , Oklahoma , who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down, $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.
____________________________

OK....I seriously want to know if any of this sh*t is real. Did these people really get rewarded for being criminals and idiots???? If you know that any of this is true, let me know. And give me a link to a story if you have one. I may have to try to do some research on my own too. This just tweaks me a little bit!
We had a case kind of similar to these here. A young girl and some friends broke into an abandoned and boarded up building. The lower level was so secured that they had to climb up and break into the second floor. This building was scheduled to be demolished, so the police department got to go in and do training in the building before the scheduled tear down. The police department was able to in with flash/bang grenades and bash through walls and all kinds of destructive stuff because the building was being torn down. So get this....the girl and a group of friends broke into the building. It was marked with signs "No Trespassing" and like I said earlier, the entire bottom level was completely secured. So they broke in and found a left over flash/bang grenade that was missed when the police took all of their stuff away. It went off and blew off the girl's hand. A tragedy no doubt. Her family sued the city because the police missed that one item, and won. And not just won, but won a LOT of money. People around here were not too happy. She broke in! Everyone agrees that it is horrible that a young girl lost her hand, but she would not have blown it off if she had not broken the law! I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who has to deal with the consequences of their poor decisions. She made the decision to break the law. She can live with the consequences of that poor decision. You can say that she was just a young girl, but my kids would have never tried a stunt like that. **bryan i swear if you come on here and confess some horrible idiotic thing that you did that i dont know about yet i will not mail your valentine gift!!!**
So my last thought on this is....Why was she raised to think breaking and entering was an OK thing to do????

10 comments:

Adriana said...

HI BARB!

I haven't researched, but I'm sure it's true... I think they get idiots on the jury who would do the same thing, or who think to themselves, well if I broke the law and something happened to me, I'd want to win some money, too. Ya know? IDIOTS!!!

So, I have jury duty March 2 - I'm kinda nervous... I've never had to go the times I was summoned. I always had school as an excuse out. Jeremy said that I could just say that I have a kid to look after and I won't have to go, but I always have bad luck when I lie... I always get busted, and I can't pay the fine for lying LOL Plus, I feel like it's my civil duty as a citizen of the United States of America to do it at least once. I haven't done it ever, and I think it's funny that they catch me so quickly after graduating :) PLUS - $16 for the first day and $40 any days after... yea, I could use the money LOL.

I am going to be helping mom and her office again Friday and Saturday for some training thing going on at her work. It's here in town though, not at the island or anywhere fun. It's more volunteer work that can go on my resume and since I've applied for a job already at her workplace, but in a different office, I don't think it'll hurt. Mom's boss is a reference of mine and she said she already told the lady in charge of that office to look out for my application and that I've helped them out and I'm really good :D So keep your fingers crossed.

Ok - I just started wondering when the closing date for that job was, so I checked, and it's not listed anymore. So, hopefully, they've received the applications already. I also submitted my application to an office clerk job. The position I applied to before was for a program assistant. So, we'll see!

Have a great day ladies!

word: rehipo - is that a hipo again? lol

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

Hi Adri!
Crossing my fingers for ya!

I have never **knock on wood** received a jury summons. Weird huh. Never. Hubby has multiple times. But me...nope. I would totally go too. I think it would be fasinating to sit on a jury.

Have you been reading any of the comments on the Hatchling main page? Brad is going to make it so that people can't put multiple nests on external sites anymore. People are pissed. They say that is the only way they can find the special eggs. I think they are just pissed because they don't have a lot of friends on Facebook with the nests so they can't find the 30,000 eggs that will help them win the game. I don't understand how people are finding that many eggs anyway. I have over 9200 now, and that's because I searched like crazy this week trying to find all of the planets. But how can people have that many eggs????

Adriana said...

No - I don't really read the hatchlings page LOL I dont look at the links with nests either... my hunting has diminished extensively. I just get sick of finding the same boring eggs, and NOT finding new eggs. I let other people send them to me LOL. I've only ever seen ONE freakin' planet egg ... like EVER. It totally caught me off guard too. I didn't know they weren't in grass LMAO! I thought it was an ad for something, but when I saw no grass I did a double take and saw it said YOU FOUND AN EGG and I was like Ohhhhhh LOL of course it'd be in a starry sky! :D

Thanks for Mercury by the way :)
and Thanks also, Glynis, if you read this LOL I think I got like 4 Mercury's yesterday! Oh, G also sent me Pluto :D Thanks! LOL

I would love to sit on a jury, but not for very long! My bro went for 2 days but he didn't get picked afterall for the jury.

Glynis said...

Hey Barb and Adri! I left a comment earlier and now it isn't here. Wonder what happened! Anyway, I am back!

I hate being called for jury duty. It is far from where I live, parking is not easy and you have to be there at the crack of dawn. Did I ever mention that I am NOT a morning person? Whatever happened to Night Court? (I used to love that show...)

I didn't know they were making more changes to Hatchlings. How about changing the ability to actually FIND an egg? I still haven't seen a Starburst or Galaxy egg on my own. Frustrating. And today one of my Hatchling friends that is really a stranger sent me the SUN egg I have been looking for. The only problem is that I was so happy when I saw it that I quickly accepted it... and now I have no idea who sent it to me. So there is no way to look, or go back and see the history, so I just have to thank the universe!

I'm rambling here...so I will chat with you all on FB later!

word: mugalin
Mom, are you making mugalin stew for dinner?

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

g...
that is weird about your comment. the ony one i saw here today was adri's. very odd....

i guess that brad is tired of the server having problems because people are setting up pages with over a 100 nests on them and it with multiple people doing that it crashes the server.

I am watching Celine Dion's A New Day concert on dvd that my mom insisted that I watch because not only is it Celine, but Mia Michaels choreographed some of the dances. So far its really good!

word: compotan
sentence: Ima compotan person! You betcha!

Adriana said...

I live about 20 mins from the courthouse and I don't really know how parking is going to be... but it's downtown so there are a few parking lots around the courthouse, so hopefully it won't be so bad. I have to be there at 9am, I think? which isn't too bad... I'll probably be there 30 mins early, which ya know, whatevs, I can do it lol i can get up early ONCE in a while hahaha

Adriana said...

May I say - thank you for removing whack a penguin LOL I always had to turn down the volume cuz it scared the cats LMAO .... though I loved to whack that poor lil' guy :D

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

LOL Adri!
I had no idea it was that loud. I usually have my speakers off, so whenever they were on, it would scare the crap out of me! So I took it off. No more wacking the penguin!

DreamaTexas said...

It wouldn't surprise me if these lawsuits are filed and won. Some lawyers that I have met over the years are pretty sleazy. Also many jurors just don't care. They just want to reach an agreement and have the trial over with.. which is wrong. I have met some of the stupidest detectives too. David has been friends with a police detective here whose brain is rotted from years of alcoholism. He is not one of the stupid ones that I mentioned earlier. LOL. I have no idea how he does his job though. Every time I have seen him over the years he's been drunk and acting wild. David also has hung out with a judge for many years that irks me. This judge's spending habits are off the scale. I just wonder how he can have the ability to be a judge when he doesn't have the common sense to manage his personal life and spending sprees. I hate to sound so mean but I just see so much behind the scenes stuff.
I have been in court twice.The first trial was over before it started with a plea bargain. The second time I was subpeoned to testify for the prosecuting side. He was NOT aquitted justly so.
I don't think I'd be picked for a WTF kind of trial. I don't think the legal team would want me.
have a nice night ladies. I am sorry that I don't make it here to midnight. I was out all day, came home for 15 minutes and then gone again until 11PM.

Anonymous said...

Very nice tips. Thanks for sharing!.
house insurance for llc''s in oklahoma