Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge

Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge
Can you see the frog between the wood? There are 2 there. The other one just had it's eyes out!
Frog
If you follow the branch from the top of the tree in the foreground, left of center and go down you can see a cedar waxwing. Well most of it! It's yellow.
I love thistle! Except in my yard.....
A turtle covered in algae on a log.
Momma duck and her babies. There are actually about 5 babies sitting there!

Black headed Grosbeak.

Just got home from spending 2 hours down at the refuge. Didn't see a lot, but I did spot some birds and other wildlife. Here is a list of what I saw....
Coots, mallards, grosbeaks, great blue herons, swifts, red wing blackbirds, turtles, goldfinches, grebes, cedar waxwings, chickadees, wren, harrier hawk, nutrias, turkey vultures, bald eagle, frogs, geese, kestrel and a snake.
It's always so relaxing to go down there. I love to hear the breeze in the trees. And something smelled really good in spots. Almost like apples. I was wondering if it was the Canadian Thistle. It was a sweet flowery smell. Reminded me of childhood.
It was a good afternoon.

2 comments:

Sooz said...

That's lovely! And yes, you would love Northwest Trek, where we were yesterday. Their website is www.nwtrek.org.

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

I googled them, found them, and sent off emails to hubby and the kids saying that I wanted to go there! It looks very cool!