Friday, July 31, 2009

Stowaways

It's always fun to me when you get something unexpected. Such as when you order lunch and you are sitting there, eating your fries and you pull out something different. What is this? A curly fry?? Bonus! Or maybe you order a pizza and there is a stray onion or black olive that has jumped onto it. I usually try to sneak that piece before someone else notices that there was a little extra something on there.
Sometimes though, there are little "extras", little stowaways that you don't want to find. My mom always tells me the story of the time she was enjoying a really good burger (my mom has an obsession with a good hamburger!) and she said that she had eaten about half of it when she noticed a big grub worm.....well she noticed half of a big grub worm! She never eats lettuce now without looking over every bit of it. Don't blame her.
A friend and I were driving in Eastern Washington one time and we stopped at an outdoor farmers market. She bought a really big apple and was eating it as we were driving down the road. All of sudden she let out a little scream and showed me her apple. At the top of it by the stem was the biggest grossest fattest brown worm. I seriously got queasy. She tossed it out the window. I have never eaten an apple off the tree or from an outdoor market since.
This one happened very recently here in town. A woman was eating salad from the salad bar at a local pizza place. She was eating away when she bit down on something big and soft. She spit it out. It was a dead mouse. Her friends said she then.....well....she puked. Barfed. Upchucked right there at the table. Don't blame her. I would have too. But who the hell takes that big of a bite of food that you can't even see that there is a mouse on your fork? Seriously. If I took that big of a bite I would have choked! I have been told that I have a big mouth.....but you know...that is just a figure of speech.

2 comments:

DreamaTexas said...

Ewww, I bet the lady who bit into the mouse learns to watch what food she shovels into her mouth from now on.
The grossest thing we ever came across happened years ago. My Mom opened up a box of chocolates and worms and cobwebs were all inside of it.
Tonight we went to a Japanese buffet. Their presentation of food is so colorful and so yummy. I'm glad I ate before reading today's blog.
Have a great week end Barb and everyone!
With the heat index it is going to be 114 here tomorrow. Bleh.
I can't wait for autumn. I have found a wonderful B&B Inn., There is a full bar and drinks served in a beautiful court yard setting. Breakfast includes yummy things like banana foster crepes. They offer 2 1/2 hour spa packages with Swedish or deep tissue massages, facial masques, seaweed wraps and one of the B&B has a jacuzzi tub instead of a claw foot tub. I want that one!

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

that place sounds wonderful!
thanks for stopping by last night. i cant even imagine a temp of 114. yuck.....