Thursday, January 28, 2010

Prey

I was reading this morning about how men have been preying on the children left orphaned in Haiti. This sickens me. Is there no end to children suffering at the hands of predators? Unfortunately no. These men have been trolling the streets of Haiti offering food to starving kids, and then taking them and selling them into slavery or into the sex trade. It's so sickening. Apparently selling children into slavery has been a problem for years in Haiti. Families get so desperate that they sell their kids to be slaves. It's something American's don't want to think about. To know that so much of the world is still totally uneducated and still following the belief that women and children are nothing more than property. It's so horrible. I did not donate money to Haiti. Mostly because I do not believe that the money will not go to a corrupt government....if you can even call what they have there a government. I donated money to UNICEF not too long ago. Mostly I donate to local charities. Where you know where the money goes. It makes you wonder about where all that money is going that was raised at the telethon that was just held. Is it really going to go towards food and shelter? Towards rebuilding cities/towns? Or is a lot of it going to be taken by a few men who say they will decide what happens with it? I feel so uneducated about all of this. Maybe that it just my ignorance in regards to relief efforts.
It's all just too overwhelming.....

No comments: