Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rising Above the Ashes

Karen came in to the office for a few minutes this morning. She is being so strong. I don't think I could be. I would not be able to talk about losing my house without breaking into tears. I've always been weak in holding back them back. They have not been able to go into the house yet to look for their other kitten. She is sure that it has died along with the other one that was found yesterday. Her daughter is very upset about the cats. She hand raised them when they were born. The whole thing is just so sad. I think they were about 6 months old. They still have one of the kittens, her daughter's other cat and their dog. Now they have to wait for the insurance investigator to come from Utah and look over the house. They have to send one from out of state because all of the Washington and Oregon investigators are in Santa Barbara because of the fires there. Not sure when they will arrive. It sounds like her insurance is going to cover the house, contents and rental until they can move back home. Who knows how long the repairs will take. Her husband has some huge blisters on his hand from being burned trying to put it out. It hurts, but he will OK. He also burned his hair, but I think Karen tried to give him a hair cut to fix that. Today they have to go shopping. They lost all of their clothes, shoes, jackets...all of that kind of stuff. They may be able to get dishes and stuff....who knows....so sad....

2 comments:

Renee Eve said...

Oh Barbara I know how you feel, I would be bawling my eyes out. My mother sold the family home in 2005 and I cried my eyes out every time I looked at the sign in front of the house. Then when we drove away for the very last time, I was soooo emotional because I lived there since I was 5 years old. My sister still lives in the neihborhood and I go by once in a while, she did nothing on the outside, but my mom just had it redone in 2000 and it looked beautiful, the inside was beautiful too. But it did need work in the 3 bedrooms and the hall and living room. Someone my sister knew bought the house, and she repainted the family room ORANGE and painted the oak mouldings in a different color orange, OAK MOULDINGS they were gorgeous and she put paint on them JMO I LOVE WOOD. My mom had oak mouldings in every room except the bedrooms, and she painted over them all. I asked Lisa did she paint over the Oak Cabinets??? My mother put very expensive cabinets in her house full oak fronts and all wood insides no particle board they were very strong, trust me I have particle board and you can tell the difference. Lisa said no she kept the cupboards oak. But it is sad to know that thats, not our house no more you know???

Well we had my sons Anthonys favorite dinner tonite Red Robin went out the window, when his Dad told him he said he really wanted grilled hamburgers and Kowalski Hot dogs and Fried Shrimp. Soooo thats what he got. I have to go get the icecream cake ready. We called my mom shes VERY TIRED from therapy, so she was already sleeping, so she asked if we could come tomorrow and we said of course.

Anthony is playing with the new game system thats like a hand held Wii called the DSI ???? I just know my husband spoiled all the kids because he bought all 3 of them 1 and then Anthony got something special a Pellet Gun when John and Anthony go to the Gun Shooting range. They are kept LOCKED UP in the house and the keys are hidden. That was my rule. OK everyone wants cake I will check back later.

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

Happy Birthday to your Anthony!

I just talked to my friend on the phone. Her daughter was devistated about losing the kitties. The firemen found Cleo, but they have not found Beatrice yet. Her husband went into the house to look for her, but he came out crying because he didn't find her. She thinks she must have crawled under something to hide. Her kitty that was saved, Viola, was on the stairs crying and her husband ran back in the burning house to rescue her. She was on oxygen from the smoke, she is doing better. It made me cry to hear her talk about it, but I tried to not let her know I was. I didn't want her to get upset. It's hard not to cry when someone else starts and I was trying to not make her start crying.