Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Wicked JDRF Dinner/Auction

I had such a fantastic day yesterday. Wicked was....WICKED AWESOME! I loved it so much. Glynis had suggested that when it comes to Seattle that we should go see it together. G....we totally have to do that! I want to see it again so bad.
Lets Discuss!!!!
The show brought me to tears a couple times. Especially at the end of the first half. Defying Gravity was one of my favorite songs after listening to the CD all week. Seeing it performed and how they did it, tears. And I laughed so hard during Popular! I loved that song too, and seeing the way Galinda/Glinda was dancing around all excited was so funny!
If you have not seen Wicked....RUN! GET TICKETS NOW!!!
After the show, Katie dropped me off at the Governor Hotel downtown to meet hubby at the JDRF Dinner/Auction. We ended up buying three things this year. A basket of Pepperidge Farm cookies....tons of them!
A watch w/diamond accents.
A basket of Webkinz Animals that one of the Junior Achievement ladies and her daughter put together. Her daughter has diabetes and this was their first time going to the dinner. Robert stood near the basket after he had made a bid and watched it for about an hour to make sure no one would take it from him. He was hoping that his bid would be high enough that no one would outbid him. I was trying to get a Silpada Jewelery set but after having a bidding war with a couple people, someone finally put their number on the "Guarantee Purchase" amount and bought it. We did that with the cookies. As soon as I saw the basket I was all excited...."OOOOOO....Look at all the cookies!" It wasn't an expensive baskets, so hubby said to just fill in the guarantee price. So I did. And now we have a buttload of cookies! LOL! The thing that is so fun about that basket is there are cookies in there I have never even seen before! Yummy!
The watch was a last minute bid war. I had looked at the watch earlier and really liked it. When I read the description and it said that it had diamond accents. I figured the prices on the sheet would be high, so I walked away. Later after I had lost the Silpada, I went back and looked at the watch again. I was surprised that the prices were not that high at all. And I love watches. I have wanted a silver or white gold watch with diamonds for a long time, it was just never on my priority list. I would much rather spend my money on paper and embellishments for cards! LOL! I put down my bid. There was only about 10 minutes left in the Silent Auction. I could see that there was a woman standing by the watch too. When there was about 6 minutes left, she bid again. So I walked up, put down my number for one last bid, and then walked away. I decided that I would not go any higher. We already had the other baskets. If I didn't get the watch it would be OK. It just meant more money going to JDRF. After the Silent Auction closed I walked over to the watch and I had won it! It is sized just a little too small for me, and we could not figure out how to change the band length. I'm going to have hubby take it to the office and have someone from Jewelry see if they can figure out the adjustment. There is plenty of extra band, the clasp just needs to slide and we would not get it to last night. I'm sure that the fact that we had been drinking had nothing to do with not being able to figure it out!
The best part of the night was winning the Webkinz. The girl who put it together was sitting at our table for dinner. During the Silent Auction I was talking to her mom about the basket, and I asked her if her daughter had a favorite Webkinz in the basket. She said that her daughter, Candace, had all of them except the black cat. After the auction was over and we had won the basket, I walked over to one of the Volunteers and told her that we had won the basket and could I take out one of the animals to give to the girl at dinner. She said that we could. When we got to our table, Candace was already sitting there. I had Robert give her the kitty. She gave him a huge smile and said that she would name it Robert! So cute. She held it the rest of the night!
Both events were fabulous!

1 comment:

Glynis said...

I am so glad that you loved Wicked! I will be sure to download the music soon, so I can learn it before September. It will be fun to go see the show with you. Do you think it is something that Kaitlyn would enjoy, or is she too young to "get" it?

The prizes at the auction look wonderful. I love the idea of a Pepperidge Farms Cookie basket. I will have to remember that! Yum! Robert sounds like a sweetie... you got a good one too!