Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Memories

Today is December 1st.
I am going to spend each day from now until Christmas morning sharing some of my favorite Christmas Memories. I hope that some of my memories will bring back some of yours!
Happy Holidays Friends!

I will never forget that feeling of being a small child believing in Santa Claus. As an adult I am still really drawn to anything Santa. Especially if it is an Old World type of Santa. Or one that looks like it came from the 50's. But my favorite memory of Santa is when I actually saw Santa. No, not the Mall Santa (those are just Santa's helpers silly), but the real Santa....flying in his sleigh!
It was Christmas Eve and we had come back from my grandparents house. We always went to my dad's parents house on Christmas Eve, and my mom's parents on Christmas Day. It was time to go to bed, and most likely I was not wanting to. My dad was by the front window and he got all excited and told me to come look outside....Santa was coming! I ran to the window and my dad pointed out the lights in the sky. Santa! It was him! "Look!" he said. "Do you see Rudolph?" YES! There was a red glow at the front of the sleigh! Santa with Rudolph leading the way was flying over the woods. I could see them. He told me that I had better get to bed because Santa knows when you are sleeping...and he knows when you're awake. So I ran to bed. The next morning Santa had indeed come to our house!
I still believe that I saw Santa that night. And Rudolph.
Even though a few years later I figured out that Santa took the same path that the planes took to the airport.
But the child in me still believes.....

2 comments:

Bon'O said...

Hi Barb...I'm here! I, too, have always loved fat, jolly Santas, especially the Old World ruddy cheeked or Coca-Cola Santa. For the past few years, my favorites are those of Tom Browning...thus my current FB profile pic. Happy holidays!!

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

HI BON!
I will have to take a look at the Tom Browning Santas!