Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Memory


My mom used to bake. A lot. Now...not so much.....actually not at all. She is just too tired from working full time that she just doesn't have the energy to bake now. Besides, she knows Terri and I bake enough for an army. Today I am making a cookie that she used to make that I completely forgot about. We talked about it last week when we got together to bake. For Christmas she used to make thumbprint cookies, fruit cocktail cookies and these little applesauce cakes with gum drops. Today Terri is making the thumbprint cookies and I am making the fruit cocktail ones. I wanted to make the applesauce cakes with gum drops, but no one....no one....sells regular gum drops. Only the spice ones, and you don't use those. They can be bought online, but they come in a 5 pound bag. Maybe next year...
She also use to make peppermint tree and snowball candles. They were so cool and the house smelled so good when she made them. It's not just a peppermint smell, it's sweeter. You know how something is just right at the front of your mind but you just can't grasp it? That is how I feel when I think about those candles. It's like the smell is just about there, but then its not. I'm hoping that next year we can make some of those.

Here is a picture of the snowball candle. I stole it from online :-)

1 comment:

DreamaTexas said...

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. I put up a recipe for Tex Mex salsa on FB a day or two ago. My friend Melinda is also going to make your cookie recipe. My parent's home is like a bakery the week of Christmas. It is all hand made fresh thanks to various companies! We have an Orange cake from Florida, Texas fruit cake, Figis triple chocolate bundt brownie cake with pecans, NY cheese cake swirled with red & green (festive), glazed and sugar coated pecans not to mention chocolate covered pecans and cashews, dark chocalate covered cherries and pecan nut logs ...Oh and divinty. I'm in a sugar haze!