Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wednesday Christmas Memory

For as long as I can remember, my mom had a Jewelry Tree. This is like a picture, but 3 dimensional. It's a Christmas Tree made out of old jewelry and then put on velvet and framed. My Grandma Gus's brother and SIL made ours in 1962. So this decoration was made before I was even born. I really should get the whole story behind it. I'm not sure if it was my grandma's and then my mom got it, or if it was made for my mom. Maybe I should have done a little research before blogging. Nah. That would have been to easy. It is so much more fun not knowing what the hell I'm talking about! All I know is that my mom had it forever, and then she gave it to me several years ago. What is so funny about this tree is that even though it is a Christmas decoration, it hangs in my living room year round. Has been there for years. I love it so much that it stays up. I don't care what time of year it is, I love to just look at the old jewelry. I took a cell phone picture of it this morning so that I could upload it here at work, and it won't show up in my email. I will try again.

There it is. I had to send it to a different email account. I love it. Not only because it is full of old costume jewelry, but also because it was made by my great uncle Joe and his wife Helen.
I think of it as my own little piece of family treasure!

1 comment:

Mary/MI said...

I love your special tree! There is something touching about knowing that love ones took part in the making of it. I only had one of my Mother's dresses after she died. I cut out a few strips of the cloth & pressed them between sheets of laminate and made family members book marks.I think of her every time I use mine.