Friday, December 11, 2009

My Friday Christmas Memory

Grandmothers can be silly sometimes.
The very last Christmas that I had with my Grandma Gus was interesting to say the least. I was in Junior High, or the 6th grade. For some reason my Grandma must have thought I was still 6! For Christmas that year she gave me a little toy. It was from some catalog ordering company like Swiss Colony or Lillian Vernon. I should also remind you that this is my grandma who was blind. I opened my present and when I saw the box I was hoping that she had just reused the box and what was on the outside was not what was on the inside. My hopes were dashed once I opened the box. She gave me a Baby in a Walnut. Ummmm...Thanks Grandma. What was I suppose to do with that? It was a plastic walnut about the size of an egg, and inside of it was a plastic baby. Yeh. Thanks. But that was the last gift I ever received from her. She died the next Spring. I kept that baby for several years in my top drawer. I seem to have lost it now. I must have got tired of packing it around, or maybe at some point threw it away. I don't remember. I just wish now that I had it.
A few years ago I was at my sisters for Christmas. We were standing in the kitchen and she came up to me and said " I got you something." I told her that we were not suppose to be exchanging gifts. She said it was OK and I would understand when I opened it. It was a Baby in a Walnut. Not like the one Grandma gave me, but a little tiny real walnut shell with a little plastic baby in it made into an ornament. I started laughing, and then I started crying. Gosh darn it....now I'm tearing up. I hang that every year on my tree and it makes me think of not only Grandma, but my sister Terri too, and how she made me cry in front of the entire family.
The b*tch....Just kidding :-)

2 comments:

Bon'O said...

**sniff, sniff** You're gettin' good at this :-)

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

:-)
Oh Bon....
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on the last couple of blogs. You're the bestest!