Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Memory of Shopping

I come from a family of 7. Mom, Dad, 2 brothers, 2 sisters and me. I was number 4. Better than being number 2! Sorry Terri :-) (she reads this)
Mom and Dad would give us a little bit of money to buy presents for our siblings. I would be surprised if it was more that $5.00. Then we went to downtown Vancouver to the 88 Cent Store and Wolworths. I loved the 88 Cent Store. Because everything was 88 cents! Go figure. There was so much stuff to look at. The toys were all downstairs. We would go down there and then try to shop without having a brother or sister come around the corner to see what you were getting them! Then on Christmas Eve we would get to pick one present from a sibling and open it up. The rest of the presents were opened in the morning. I remember one of my favorite gifts was from my brother Mike. He bought me a mini tea set. It was white with little pink roses on it. Loved it.
I went to the old 88 Cent about 10 years ago. It was not the same. Kinda like how the Dollar Store is now. And they didn't have all the toys downstairs like they used too. Then they closed the downtown location and had one at another location in town, but I think that has closed now too.
But I still have the memories.

2 comments:

Mary/MI said...

We had the "Five & Dime" store. It is still there. I go back at least once a year. The little old ladies still remember me. I especially loved the glassed in candy display.
Thanks for the memories :-)

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

I have been having a fun time coming up with different Christmas Memories. But now it's getting closer to Christmas and sometimes it takes a little longer!
I have a couple saved up for later though :-)