Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I am Thankful for....#10

Home Made Chex Mix.
Yummmmm.....
My sister told me Sunday that she had made some Chex Mix the day before. Well that just made me want to make some. So Sunday afternoon I made two really big batches to take to the beach this weekend. Problem is....I have been snacking on it since it came out of the oven. Its like crack I tell ya. Once you start eating some then you can't stay out of it. Hubby and I ate so much of it on Sunday. He asked me to put some in a baggie for him to take to work. Then I have been taking some in a container to work for my afternoon snack. I'm surprised we are not both sick of it already. I'm going to try to stay out of it now until we leave Thursday. There won't be any left for the beach if we keep eating it! My sister makes really good Chex Mix. She has been making it for so many years that she knows how much seasoning to put in it. I just dump in what looks like a good amount. I think she does the same. I kind of measure the cereal portion of it, but it still ends up being way more than the 7 cups that it calls for. We both only use the corn and rice chex, no wheat. No one ever eats the wheat so why put it in. And we both use honey nut oats (like Honey Nut Cheerios) to give it some sweetness. She was the one who gave me that little tip. The other thing we like to add to it is Cheeze-It's or Cheese Nips. Both are good. And you also don't have to buy the more expensive Chex brand. We just use the off brands. Cheaper and they taste just as good. Then pretzel sticks, mixed nuts, extra almonds and cashews. The seasoning is a stick of butter, whorchestersire sauce, onion power, garlic salt and Johnny's Seasoning.
Yummy goodness!

No comments: